Translating Research into Practice
What works to prevent crime and improve citizen trust and confidence in the police? How can police incorporate research into their daily practice? The CEBCP’s Evidence-Based Policing Research Program focuses on generating both the supply of research (rigorous evaluations of policing strategies and tactics), and also the demand, use, and translation of research into everyday use by law enforcement agencies. Listen to Cynthia Lum's podcast on "What is Evidence-Based Policing" here.
Resources and News
- Evidence-Based Policing: Translating Research Into Practice (Lum and Koper, Oxford)
- What is Evidence-Based Policing? (Podcast)
- Technology Web Portal (LPRs and BWCs)
- Matrix Demonstration Projects
- The Evidence-Assessment of the Task Force on 21st Century Policing Recommendations
- Body Worn Cameras and the Courts: A National Survey of State Prosecutors
- Faculty and students from the CEBCP participated in the first International Summer School for Policing Scholarship, in collaboration with the Scottish Institute for Policing Research. Mason News coverage on the ISSPS.
- American Society of Criminology Division of Policing
- Policing: A Journal of Policy and Practice.
Key Reads on Evidence-Based Policing
- Evidence-Based Policing (Lawrence Sherman, 1998)
- Evidence-Based Policing: Translating Research Into Practice (Cynthia Lum and Christopher Koper, 2017, Oxford University Press)
- The Evidence-Based Policing Matrix (Cynthia Lum, Christopher Koper, and Cody Telep, 2011)
- Translating Police Research Into Practice (Cynthia Lum, 2009)
- Police Science: Towards a New Paradigm (David Weisburd and Peter Neyroud, 2011)
- Receptivity to Research in Policing (Cynthia Lum, Cody Telep, Christopher Koper and Julie Grieco, 2012)
- Police Foundation President and CEBCP Senior Fellow Jim Bueermann’s “Being Smart on Crime with Evidence-Based Policing” for the National Institute of Justice.
- A Tipping Point for ‘Totally Evidenced Policing’ (Lawrence Sherman, 2015)
- Reinventing American Policing (Cynthia Lum and Daniel Nagin, 2016)
Presentations and videos from our symposia and workshops
- 2015 CEBCP-Police Foundation joint symposium.
- 2014 SIPR-CEBCP Symposium on Evidence-Based Policing in Tulliallan, Scotland.
- 2014 “Evidence-Based Policing and Leadership for First Line Supervisors”
- 2013 CEBCP-SIPR Joint Symposium and Congressional Briefing.
- Videos and the workbook from the 2012 Evidence-Based Policing Workshop at the 2012 CEBCP Annual Symposium.
- Videos and the workbook from the 2011 Evidence-Based Policing Workshop at the 2011 CEBCP Annual Symposium.